My First Post Partarm Run

Yesterday, without meaning to, I went on my first post partum run.  It was quite the adventure.

Ella and I woke up to the sun shining and temperatures in the 50’s!  After a particularly long winter, this was a welcome site.  I immediately texted a few friends, thinking they might have the day off for Easter Monday, in search of a few people to take a walk with.  My friend Lisette said she could be at my house by 2 for a nice long afternoon walk on our favorite trail.  I knew I couldn’t wait until then so Ella and I ventured out on our own for a little jaunt around the block in the Moby wrap.  She slept while I enjoyed the warm sun

photo (2)


Once Lisette got my house at 2 we were on our way to the Rails to Trails.  We parked, got the stroller set up, and were on our way.  It had gotten a little bit chillier since that morning and there was a noticeable change in the air.  I had looked at the forecast right before leaving and there was no chance of rain, so THAT did not even cross my mind.  We were walking and talking and right as we turned around to head back, about a half mile from the car, the sky opened up and rain started to POUR!  My mommy brain kicked in and all I could think of was the fact that my 5 week old baby was getting soaked.  I threw all the blankets I could find from the diaper bag over her car seat and started to run back toward the car.

I have not even attempted to run since November.  I have not even done a speed walk since a few days before delivery.  So a half mile sprint with my mind thinking that my baby was going to catch pneumonia was pretty taxing.  My lungs burned, my legs hurt, and lower abdomen ached.  We made it back to the car, and it turned out that Ella had slept through the whole thing.  She was bone dry and her skin was still very warm.  I put her in the car, cranked up the heat, and got home as fast as possible!

So there it is.  My first post partarm run.  It did not go as planned., obviously, but nothing in motherhood really goes as planned.  I am grateful that my legs were strong enough to get Ella back to the car before much damage was done, and was even happier that I had a friend there with me to laugh about this on the way home.  One run down, hundreds to go!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s